Friday, December 2, 2016

Neither house nor heart can ever be too full

Sitting at home watching "A Charlie Brown Christmas" with the boys. This is the first time in my adult life that I've had one of these Christmas shows on television. I've never really liked them much. The boys seem to be quietly enjoying it though, and that's the important thing.

Another friend of mine may be entering the foster care world and while I'm extremely excited for her and her family, I also know how frustrating it can be, too. For her, though, she'll be getting babies so hopefully she won't have to deal with the same types of things that we had to.

Don't get me wrong. The social workers, judges, and CASA workers are all doing their very best with extremely limited resources. Despite their best efforts, there are some serious flaws in the system. That's why I was so anxious to get our kids out of the system as quickly as we possibly could.

Husband and I go back and forth quite a bit on whether we would take foster kids again or not. On some days, it's a flat out no. And others, we say that we would if we go through an agency. Still others, we say we'd do it in half a heart beat with no further thought required.

Of course, anyone that knows me also knows that if ever faced with that decision again, there wouldn't be a second thought. The kid would be in my home as fast as we could manage, no matter what hoops we had to jump through to get it done.

As I sit with my boys, (one of whom managed to successfully sneak a dog onto the couch again without me noticing), I know that all of the hoops were worth it. With my daughter in my kitchen, and the other at drill, my oldest away at Ft. Polk, and my two boys now, my heart is full and happy. There is always room for love, though. Neither house nor heart can ever be too full.

<3

As you sit with your family this evening, what thoughts run through your mind?

No comments:

Post a Comment