Tuesday, January 28, 2014

My New Admin!!!

I kept my daughter home from school today for two reasons. First, she was exhausted! They've really been stressing her out at school over these diagnostic tests, in preparation for the STAAR aptitude test. I told her that if she's stressing over the test, then she obviously isn't ready for it. It isn't a big deal if she winds up having to do summer school or repeat a grade. I won't have her stressing over this crap.

Second, the ice, while thin, was everywhere this morning. The news reported nearly 100 accidents in less than 3 hours. There was no way that I was sending her out in that. So, I kept her home instead.

But that doesn't mean that she got to do nothing all day. First, she put together the contractor contracts and folders. Then, she redid some filing work that I've been putting off. After that, she backed up her computer and learned how to incorrectly partition a drive so that Windows was totally screwed. (Oooops!) Then, she learned how to install BackBox. (I'll let her do Ubuntu on her next unexpected day off.)

After this, I showed her how to filter edited items in the queue, and clean up the pay sheets. She did that for me and learned how to find work that was completed but no submission form was filled out. She now knows how to get those for the editing team also.

Over all, we've had a productive day. Even though she didn't go to school, she did get a bit of an education in office administration, and we got to spend some time together.

How do you keep your teenagers busy on unexpected days off?

No comments:

Post a Comment