Monday, February 3, 2014

Google changed things again???

Well, apparently I now cannot log into Google (or Blogger) from multiple computers at the same time. WTH? I have an entire network of computers over here. Having to log into another computer every five minutes is a pain in the butt. If I check email on one computer, I have to log back in on the main computer. Then, if I go five minutes later to respond to a chat using the first, I have to log in again. It's a pain in the ass.

I probably just need to move Blogger either to a paid hosting site, or to my own website. I can get a simple website for just this blog for about $3 a month. I could try to set up my own email server here at home, too.

See Google? When you make things difficult or more inconvenient, people leave. Especially when we're being "scroogled" at the same time! (Gotta love the Microsoft terminology, sometimes.)

A long, long time ago, there was a tiny new browser called Google. It was nice. It was clean. There weren't a lot of ads all over the place. In addition to that, it didn't spy on what you were doing. Then, the company dove into email. Oh, I was so excited for Gmail! I was one of the first users, in fact. Not with this current account but with one of my aliases from long ago. This was way back when you had to get an invite.

Gmail was easy and uncomplicated. And again, the main reason everyone wanted it was to get away from the spying that the Microsoft companies were doing. Outlook wasn't safe due to viruses. Using Hotmail or Yahoo meant someone was watching what you read all of the time and selling info to advertisers. And the ads all over the place! They slowed things down and uglied them up.

Google said, "Dude, we're not gonna do that to ya! Come check us out." We did. And we got hooked, quickly. I think that they've forgotten the promises that they made in those early days. Now, they are doing the exact same things that made everyone want to leave AOL, and Microsoft behind to begin with. (remember how difficult it was to get AOL off of your computer once it got on? Yeah. Sound a bit like Google Desktop, anyone?)

I miss their "Don't be evil" philosophy. And with each change, we move further and further away from the Google platform, really. I'm going to play around with setting up my own email server here at home and see how that goes.

I think that it'll be cool! :D Plus, that's the only true way to get control of your email privacy again.

Well, I'm out. I have to do some editor training classes today and tomorrow. Wednesday, it's the writer training class. These really do seem to be helping, for those that attend them.

Have a fantastic Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment