Friday, February 7, 2014

Just rambling a bit - as I sometimes do.

I haven't written anything in a few days. I'm not really too great at that "write something every day" thing, am I? That's okay. I'm not going to punish myself over it too badly.

I wore myself out with the training classes earlier in the week. I had planned on taking yesterday as a me day but Mother Nature had something else in mind. My daughter and husband were home with me, instead. Roads were fine, so he went to work today but he may wind up staying in Austin over night depending on how icy the roads are on his way home. Pie, however, is home with me again.

Her day will consist of some administrative type stuff here, then we'll do chores together. After which, she'll have the day to play around on her computer. She can't use a GUI for anything she does, though. It's all to be done using the command line interface. This child will know how to build an operating system from the ground up by the time she graduates high school. If she can do that, she can do just about anything else she wants.

I figure that since she was hacking into my computers before she even knew what the letters on the keyboard were, she may have a hidden talent for programming somewhere in that beautiful mind of hers.

I think that I may apply for a couple of jobs out around town. I know; I've been saying that for quite some time now, haven't I? I want something part time that I can grow into. I don't want anything major, just some Farmer Market money. I'm not doing fast food or gas stations, though. If the past eight years has taught me anything, it's that I have grown well beyond the minimum wage positions.

When I mentioned it to Honey, he was on board on one condition: that I don't get stressed over the job. That's it. He's fine with me running KP and getting another job if I want, but I'm not allowed to stress over either.

When he first found me, many years ago, I was a huge wreck of a mess. It took a very long time for me to heal and to find myself in a good spot. Living on welfare for as long as I had really does awful things to your self esteem. So does homelessness, losing utilities every couple of weeks, constant threat of eviction and having to steal to feed and clothe your kids. It's damaging, you know? It took a long time for me to discover that I really was lower on the economic food chain than pond scum.

I've healed and I'm ready to ease myself back out into the offline world. I am grateful that I was given this time to discover who I am, and to grow into my true worth. I'm thankful for having a husband that is supportive of me and my choices, regardless of what they may be.

3 comments:

  1. If I could go back in time and stop all those bad things in your past, I ain't real sure I'd do it. I ain't overly fond of you suffering, but they made you the person you are today.

    That person I'm pretty fond of. And she gives me someone to look up to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The past is what made me who I am today, and I kinda like me now. It was people like you and Thad that got me through it. I can never thank you enough.

      I find it funny that 'she' gives you something to look up to, only because everyday, I strive to be just a bit more like you.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete